Monday, July 20, 2009

Prologue of sorts

“That’s quite a lot of money,” Ash breathed.
“Let me hold it!”Aeris squealed. Pouncing forward, she grabbed eagerly at the glimmering coins.
“Back off!” Ash shouted smashing the girl across the face. Aeris returned the gesture by clamping her sharp teeth down on Ash’s shoulder. The two went down, battling so ferociously they didn’t notice Cicery calmly retrieve the money they’d dropped.
She cleared her throat delicately, calling the attention of the meeting back to herself. The two elves looked up, both sets of eyes immediately latching onto the bag of coins in her hands.
Hastily making plans to kill his companion later, Ash took the initiative to speak first. “We…we can’t really give you the final word on the matter…we’re not nobles or officials or anything.”
“I’ve no need for nobles,” Cicery said coldly.
“What’d you mean?” Aeris asked.
“I see no reason to involve more of you than necessary,” Cicery replied with a cool shrug of her shoulders. “Unless you think you need more help. Of course, that’s all the money I can give you, so you’d have to split it further with more people…” She allowed the implications of her remark to sink in unspoken before continuing. “Do we have a deal?”
A slow smile split Ash’s features. “You got it.”
“Good. You have three days.”
With a nod, the elves disappeared into the forest. Cicery’s eyes lingered on the vacancies their departure created. “Lanius.” A figure separated itself from the shadows. “Keep an eye on them, will you?”
“You don’t think they can handle it?”
Cicery’s eyes flickered with irritation. “It’s not a matter of abilities, I just need to be sure they don’t lack the proper encouragement.”
“Encouragement?”
“Really, Lanius,” she sighed patronizingly. “Every idiot knows you can’t trust elves.”

5 comments:

  1. first off, Cicery is a kick-awesome name. second off, Cicery is a kick-awesome lady. third off, I can wait not much for more in this vein.
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, excellent ferreting out of a substitution for kick-[apple], Master Lowell.

    Second of Ash and Aeris are total faves. Yahyah.

    Sweet modern classic mode here.

    Nice paragraphs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh.
    Eyes that flicker...I'm so tired of eyes that burn/shine/glitter!
    I like this. Is it the introduction to your epic-decimationator-pwnzard story?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I loved the character interaction and dialogue (as always) but I was more confused about the plot this time. Can I have another installment pleeze?

    I did however love the final line. "Every idiot knows you can't trust elves." Bwee hee hee.

    And because I'm a dork, I'm going to point out that Aeris was the name of Aerith in Final Fantasy VII (the Japanese version).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this. It was playful but in a serious way that made you pay attention at every word. I really liked the ending statement and the new outlook on elves. Everyone makes them noble and fierce, I think your the first one that I've read to make them mischievous. Keep writing this, I'm really interested to see where you take it.

    ReplyDelete